Sunday, October 2, 2011

The Crucible Post 2

        People are told since they were young not to lie, but what do you do if to save your life you have to lie?  In “The Crucible” Abigail Warren is convicting people of witchcraft that are innocent. These people have to make the decision lying to save their life, or to tell the truth and be tortured to death. In the story the innocent people being convicted know the consequences. “And why not, if they must hang for denyin’ it? There are them that will swear to anything before they’ll hang; have you never thought of that (Miller 69)?” These people are not actually trafficking with the devil they are just trying to save their own lives.  At this time in the story Proctor is making a very good point.  Many people would lie to save their lives, because then they can keep their life. Though I would like to say that I would never lie, I would do whatever it takes to save my life. The hard part is why I would lie? I would love to always be truthful, but it is my life and being so young I still have more things to experience.  So if I  was charged for witchcraft in puritan times I would lie to save myself from being tortured to death.

No comments:

Post a Comment